Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wednesdays we work

I spent much of the morning with the woman I tutor. She is learning to use the dictionary; we did another schwa lesson online; and then we practiced reading an Eric Carle book for her to read to her son at home. After our regular lesson, we discussed getting her into a class in a nearby town to prepare for taking the GED. She has a lot of work ahead of her, but I think she will be able to learn what she needs. She came to the United States from a small village in the countryside of Mexico with the equivalent of a middle school education . One thing she clearly learned somewhere along the way: keep trying and don't give up.

She reminds me of an admonition of St. Teresa of Avila to her nuns. She told them to have a muy determinada determinaciรณn, a very determined determination.

It is my day to cook and I am planning chicken parmesan with pasta. Hope it turns out okay. I am adapting a recipe ... and that is always iffy. 

I did not get any writing done yesterday, but I did do some research. This story will involve a hoax and Damien is teaching a course in famous frauds and historical hoaxes. I love reading about that stuff!


No comments: