Saturday, March 7, 2009

Following up on the local economy

As I mentioned, the local papers have been carrying discussions about the tourist industry here hiring foreigners at a time when Americans need work. There was a letter in the paper this morning defending the businesses. What was most striking to me was this comment in the final paragraph:
I'm sure there are plenty of summer jobs for those that apply—but consider that unemployment insurance, if available, pays better than most Dells area summer jobs.
Doesn't the fact that unemployment pays better than the jobs on offer here indicate that something is out of whack?

I am not, by the way, saying that unemployment is too generous. Not so much. And you can't get unemployment here unless you were laid off from your previous job, so no one quits a job or refuses work so they can get unemployment. If they do and are caught, they are ineligible. And with Wisconsin's unemployment funds in danger of running out, they are screening everyone carefully.

1 comment:

Vincent said...

I have a feeling on this post! but sometimes I get too carried away with my comments when it comes to those people who want to sit on the Govt/Taxpayers tab for eternity. So I will keep this civil and just say that I agree! It is frustrating and repulsive that the Federal Government has made Government assistance more attractive than earning your own way through life! This is a screwed up path they have set for us and this must be changed or the those choosing not to work will be growing at an astronomical rate!

Take care!
VB