Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Job outlook

I had an interview about taking over the management of the museum shop at the railroad this morning. Yada, yada, yada.

Some things got hammered out, the job description seems reasonable and doable.

On the bright side:
It is likely to be a year-round job, although not full time all year.
It will be a salaried position.
I would actually BE the manager, not trying to work for three bosses who are all on different wavelengths. (A common problem with non-profits and volunteer organizations.)
Dave is going to investigate the possibility of health benefits through a museum consortium. (Not expecting anything the come of that, but at least he says he will check.)
On the other hand:
This has to be run past a board meeting next month, and they can't make me a firm offer until near the end of April.
I suspect there will be some adjustment to be made as we shift to a more year-round, perhaps more business-oriented (though not primarily profit-motivated) mode of operations. (See above remark about lots of bosses ...)
Both my current job possibilities (library, museum shop) are in mostly detail limbo without enough known for me to make an objective comparison and choice.
Many of my friends are out of work, with nothing yet on the horizon, and they don't have the safety net that Tom's generosity provides for my basic survival needs.

So be grateful, Michael!
------------
On the book front, CreateSpace is running behind with things at the moment, and my Gratian book is caught in their general slowdown. The good news is that they acknowledged there is a problem and promised to upgrade my proof shipping when the copy is ready to speed things a bit. I had hoped to have it out by now, but the best laid plans ...

One reason I wanted to have it out is that sales for the mystery have slowed, and sending out publicity on the new book will provide me with a chance to plug the mystery again.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Plug that mystery, celeb!

Um when you are the manager of the museum, can I come crash it and make a mess and not get in trouble?

Kidding.

Michael Dodd said...

No, sweetheart, but I'll let you and Vince and any little Vincelets ride on the train for free.