Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A time to cast away stones

As we sort and pack, there are odd moments.

Ton has cleared the CDs and DVDs off the shelves of the entertainment center in the living area. We donated four or five bags of CDs and DVDs to the library, but there were a handful of things we are taking with us, and today he packed those up. I cleaned off the objets d'art (ahem) that sat on the top shelf and wrapped them in bubble wrap for the journey to Madison.

A couple of these objets had a southwestern look and feel, and we had placed them on or near some rocks we brought in from the property. After I had put things away, I took the rocks outside to place alongside the ones that border the flower beds and the driveway. Sundance was out there, following me around.

"I'm just casting away stones," I told her, the melody from Turn, Turn, Turn suddenly running through my mind.


The source, of course, is the passage from Ecclesiastes about a time and a season for every purpose under heaven. The English Standard Version of 3:5 includes the phrases "a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together." For some reason, those odd images always captured my imagination, surrounded by more expected pairs of being born and dying, weeping and laughing, mourning and dancing.

The following verse speaks of a time to keep and a time to throw away. We are in the midst of such a time.

No comments: