Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tuesday to-do

The library used to schedule special activities for seniors on Tuesdays. They called these Tuesday To-Do's. The activity varied from week to week -- sometimes a craft, sometimes a talk on some topic of general interest, sometimes games. Eventually the director noticed that people mainly showed up for card games and they just changed it to Tuesday euchre.

My Tuesday to-do's today have included making a bank deposit, paying a propane bill, picking up something to cook for dinner tonight, taking some fudge that I made last night to our neighbors, doing laundry and a bit of housecleaning. And writing, of course.

As of 12:30 this afternoon, I am at 13,463 words. I may get some more done, I may not. At any rate, at this point in the story, the narrator's daughter has brought the winged boy home and asked if he can stay for dinner. A suspicious neighbor has shown up at the door and our hero is trying to keep things under wraps. The final lines at the moment are as follows:

             I went back into the kitchen and put the sweet potato pie down on the counter. I unwrapped the foil and looked at the melted marshmallow topping. A small piece had fallen off one corner, and I put it in my mouth. As advertised, the pie was sweet indeed.
            When I went back to the sink and looked out the back window, I saw Miz Wanda Mae heading back to her car the long way, circling around the house and glancing in each window she passed. I could only hope that Katie and Angelo were not in view.
            Not in view? That might not be good.
            “Katie, Angelo!” I shouted down the hall. “I need to talk to you.”
            A moment later they were back in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I am enjoying your writing progress.