Monday, November 2, 2015

NaNoWriMo

After dealing with the feline furies this morning, I went to the gym, did an hour on the treadmill and my circuit of the weight machines. Then back home to shower and get ready to go to the library.

I delivered some things we had decided to donate to the library craft program -- canvases and other supplies -- and then did my NaNoWriMo writing. One of the librarians made a sign to put on the door where I was working. I don't have a photo, but it looked a bit like this:

WRITING IN PROGRESS

Please do not feed the novelists!

Other novelists welcome!

Actually, I suggested they change it to say, "Please feed the novelists," but I was over-ruled.

At any rate, none of the other participants joined me to write today, but one came by and a couple let me know that they may drop in later in the week. I know that they are all planning to do most or all of their writing at home. My presence in the library, though, serves two functions: one, keeping National Novel Writing Month visible to library patrons; and two, being available at times to offer encouragement or answer questions participants may have.

With no interruptions, my word total is now over 9,000 words. Obsessive-compulsive, moi? [That could be my new motto.] 

Here are the last lines composed this morning. Corny (the narrator) is talking to a neighbor, a retired school teacher, about his daughter's story:
           “Anyway, Corny, don’t worry about it. It won’t hurt Katie to be a child a little longer and believe in boys who fly. Trust me, she will be growing up way too fast, way too soon. And it won’t be boys with wings you have to worry about then.”
            Well, if that was meant to make me feel better somehow, it failed miserably.

No comments: