Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tom in space

This is not a good photograph, but only by taking it at a sharp angle could I avoid the flash washing out the colors even more. Tom has given away a lot of his art supplies, but he used some of what he had left to do this painting yesterday. It sat outside all yesterday afternoon, last night and most of today, drying. He brought it in and put it in the basement to finish up. It is about 3'x3' [0.91m x 0.91m] square.


Most of the ones he does with this technique, which he calls flowing because it involves lots of water washing over the paint after he has applied it, look like undersea scenes. This one looks more like outer space to me, a sort of starry, starry night. I imagine it is the darker colors. The surface is very uneven, with lots of bumps and ridges that don't show up in this picture, adding depth. And I have no idea if I propped it against the wall right-side up, upside down or sideways.

I am not sure if he plans to take it with us to Madison or give it to someone up here.

1 comment:

Lavada said...

too bad it would be costly to send to me. I LOVE it!!
Someday I will own a Tom Original. Just you wait and see.