Friday, January 1, 2016

Sixteen random facts

As I begin another year, I thought I would share some random facts about Your Obedient Servant, sixteen facts in honor of 2016.
  1. According to my Fitbit, in 2015 I walked well over seven and a half million steps, about 3,400 miles.
  2. I have a secret.
  3. I have had my driver license since I was fourteen (over fifty years), have never been involved in an accident and have received only one citation -- for not coming to a complete halt at a Stop sign on a frontage road in Middle-of-Nowhere, Texas at one o'clock in the morning in 1972. The ticket cost me ten dollars.
  4. Political talk shows annoy me. Okay, they drive me crazy. Right-wing or left-wing, doesn't matter. Trust me, this is not my secret. And call-in radio programs on any topic annoy me. This is a character defect.
  5. Most people make the wrong assumption(s) about my religious beliefs.
  6. I cannot bend the second and third toes on my left foot. The muscles were cut when I stepped on a broken jar in a leaf pile at the age of three.
  7. For two years in the monastery, I slept on a blanket on a board without a mattress.
  8. I'm not crazy, although my mother never had me tested. The Discalced Carmelites did, however, as part of the application and admissions process.
  9. I worked as a prison guard the summer between freshman and sophomore years in university. (Do not do this.)
  10. In my teens, I had a flying squirrel as a pet. Actually, I had two of them but not at the same time.
  11. The clinic where I was born in Gainesville, Georgia later became a church. Just sayin'.
  12. I walked without crawling first.
  13. I can compose lyrics to familiar melodies on the spot, with rhyme and meaning. I often do this spontaneously, to the bemusement (not amusement) of those around me.
  14. Although I only studied Latin for two years in high school, I later tutored doctoral students for their Latin comprehensive exam.
  15. I walked the entire length of the fourteen-mile East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island one day at the end of my sabbatical at Brown University in 1994. 
  16. I was in a liturgical dance group in 1984-1985 while a student at St. Louis University.

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I really enjoyed this!

2. What is it?!? (Oh, but then it wouldn't be a secret.)

8. The Discalced Carmelites never had me tested. So... I don't know.

Bob said...

What a great list. love it.

Ur-spo said...

what moves did you do in #16 I wonder?