Sunday, January 31, 2016

You have no idea

Many moons ago when I was still in the monastery I visited my parents, who were living in the Texas Panhandle at the time. My younger brother lived just a half dozen blocks away, and his kids were often at the house. The older of his two daughters -- now grown and married and with children of her own -- was talking to me one day. I don't recall what we were talking about or how old she (or I) was at the time. At some point, I said or did something silly and she said, "You're so weird."

I replied, "You have no idea."

She laughed because she recognized that line from The Lion King.

I know, Scar was pretty creepy, but still, I knew it was even funnier because it was spoken by the actor Jeremy Irons, echoing a famous line from his role as Klaus Von Bulow in Reversal of Fortune.



Weird need not be evil. It's kind of nice, being weird. Somewhere I saw a quote that went something like, "Being called weird is like being called a limited edition, meaning you're something people don't see often. Remember that."

 

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Exactly!!! I prefer to think of it as Special.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I've been told that same thing by many kids. I've always taken it as a compliment. (Unfortunately, I never had the clever and recognizable response.)