Sunday, September 20, 2015

Scheduled (and unscheduled) maintenance


Three different apps/websites that I tried to use this morning had a version of the above message. They all also said to try again in a few minutes. In one case, I have been trying for well over an hour with no success. 

This doesn't really matter much. Perhaps Sunday mornings are often chosen to be down for maintenance on the assumption that fewer people are online. Maybe at church or recuperating from too celebratory a Saturday night. But I doubt that somehow, given the wold-wide nature of online activity.

When my online bank site is going to be down for maintenance, they usually give us 24-hour notice. I realize banking needs can  be more urgent than checking up on book sales. But how hard would it be to let me know a day ahead that I won't be able to use the site for an hour or so at some scheduled point in the near future?

At any rate, I am taking a bit of unscheduled maintenance downtime myself today. I went to the gym but just did my simple weight routine and did not put in the usual long treadmill time. Yesterday we had a good time in Madison, the weather was great, we enjoyed the zoo and had a nice meal. But I was sort of woozy after we got home. Not quite dizzy, not quite steady. I slept well and feel fine today. But I am choosing to have an easier time of it. 

It is another lovely, sunny, crisp almost-autumn day, and I am sure I will go for a walk later. Tom will be glued to the television to watch NASCAR. I guess that is part of his maintenance program.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

You often convey lovely and most sensible advice.
I plan to emulate it today - minus the racing car nonsense.