Friday, September 18, 2015

Wo-Zha-Wa and water


[To the tune of The Teddy Bears' Picnic]

If you go into the Dells today,
You'd better not go alone.
It's lovely there in the Dells today,
But safer to stay at home.

For every tourist that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's a Wo-Zha-Wa day!


 A festive celebration of autumn, Wo-Zha-Wa Days is filled with free family activities, including an arts and crafts fair, antique flea market, live entertainment and a parade. Wo-Zha-Wa, as I think I mention this time every year, is from a Ho-Chunk phrase meaning essentially, "Fun time!" (Think New Orleans and Laissez les bon temps rouler.) It marks the traditional end of the tourist season in the Dells, although a smaller harvest festival will take place in October.

A few weeks ago, several friends pointed out that the local newspaper had quoted something I once said on the blog about Wo-Zha-Wa, calling me "local blogger, Michael Dodd." So be careful what you write, people! You never know who is searching the internet.


 Sadly, it looks like tonight at least will bring thunderstorms through the area. We had brief waves of storms last night accompanied by short bursts of torrential rain. I like to sleep when it is raining and even with thunder, but the flashes of lightning tend to wake me up. As a result, I wound up sleeping late this morning. So no trip to the gym. On the brighter side, I got in several long walks and made real progress on Wacky in WhoVille. So not a waste of a day at all.

Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be sunny and cool, perfect days for Wo-Zha-Wa. Tom and I plan to avoid town as best we can.


3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I LOVE that thunderstorm gif! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Well, Michael!! You've made it to the "Big Time"- your an internet sensation now that you have been quoted by a newspaper!!!!

I love going to festivals- espectially the Autumn ad Harvest festivals!!!
This is Sunny, btw- reading your blog on my luch hour from my desk...on the sly. If they yell at me I'm going to indignantly ask "Do you KNOW who my friend IS? Head's will ROLL!!!"





Michael Dodd said...

Sunny,
You remark reminds me of something a friend often says: Don't you know who I think I am?