Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Both sides now UPDATED [Updated again]

I've looked at apartments from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's their illusions I recall.
I really don't know apartments at all.

               ~ With apologies to Joni Mitchell 

I've noticed that people have different approaches to life in general. Some look up at things, others look down. Some look for what they like, others for what they dislike. Some look for advantages, others look for problems.

In many cases, it doesn't matter too much what your approach is. Most things -- WAY most things -- don't matter enough. But some things, like where you are going to live, do matter. And so it is good to be able to look at both sides. Or, if you are like me and tend to look at one side only, to have someone along who sees the other side. Especially if that someone is also going to have to live there.

This person -- I'm looking at you, Tom! -- will drive you crazy. The consolation is that you are driving him or her crazy, too. It all comes out in the wash if you rub hard enough, as my mother says.

So today we went to look at the apartment. As usual, I saw advantages: three bedrooms, very airy and light with huge windows and an amazing view, an on-site fitness center, near health services and places to eat and public transportation, on a bus line that runs by a library, ten minutes from a large shopping center complex. As usual I couldn't find any significant negatives. Even the bathroom-bedroom positions that looked odd in the floor plan diagram looked fine in reality.

As it turned out, Tom didn't find significant problems, either. Not with the apartment, that is. In most ways it exceeded our expectations. The one thing we would change would be the date of rental: December 1. There are only about seven apartments in the complex with the layout and position we want, however, and they were unable to predict when another would be open. No sooner than April or May and maybe not even then. We would prefer that date, in part because it would give more time to list and sell the house, but there is no promise that there would be an apartment available.

So we are sleeping on it. After seeing the place, I am convinced they will not have any trouble renting it to someone soon. If we really want it, we probably need to act in the next day or two. 

We'll see. We had not planned to rent this fast and we will be fine if we don't.

UPDATE: Further research online has turned up a couple of very negative reviews about this complex. I have sent a message to the leasing agent asking for clarification on the issues raised. So maybe, maybe not! 

As I said, "It's their illusions I recall ..." 

UPDATE II: I got a prompt and satisfactory response from the property manager at the apartment complex. What she said was more congruent with what we had seen and other things I have been able to find out online. So back to "Maybe." Maybe.

2 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

We're both jumpers. No need to think much about it. Let's move! I'm excited for you and you haven't even decided yet.

Michael Dodd said...

Actually, I can take forever to make a minor decision. It's the big ones that I tend to rush. At any rate, we still haven't decided (as of Thursday morning at 8:19) but when I got home from the gym, Tom was packing up boxes of books to take to the library book sale or to St. Vinnie's.

I asked, "Does this mean we're doing this apartment?"

Response: Grumble, grumble, murmur, I don't know ...