Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Is it just me?

[Before I start this mini-rant, I want to say that I realize I am talking about what is happening in the northern hemisphere and that you good folks who live in the southern hemisphere are moving into greater light each day. Lucky you! I mention this because today I got a lovely message from a reader in the Land Down Under.]
Today was rainy and cold and the sun set here on our hopes and dreams at 5:55. This weekend, Daylight Saving Time ends, which means Sunday night the sun will set at 4:49. From December 4 through December 14, locally our sunset will be at 4:22
Yes, I know our northern winter solstice will be December 22 this year. The earliest sunset and latest sunrise dates differ from winter solstice, however, and these depend on latitude, due to the variation in the solar day throughout the year caused by the Earth's elliptical orbit.
Well, Sheldon Cooper, what's your point?

I like longer days better than I like longer nights! When the sun goes down before 4:30 in the afternoon, my mind starts preparing to go to bed soon. I look at the clock and see that It is not yet seven! But I still feel like going to bed ...

Maybe it's an aging thing.

To be fair, once Daylight Saving ends, I won't feel like I am on my way to the gym in the middle of the night. Today, for example, the sun rose (behind the rain clouds, that is) at 7:35. Next week it will be up at 6:35. I usually head for the gym before six, but this will still be an improvement.

It all comes out in the wash, as my mother says, if you rub hard enough.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I kinda like DST because I think it really sets the new season for me. It's definitely Winter when it's dark early, and I am definitely ready to stay inside, until I Spring Forward in a few months!

Ur-spo said...

we in AZ don't do no stinkin DST. We have quite tired of sunshine and don't want to save any.