Thursday, October 1, 2015

Hmmm

Lots of folks are commenting on the pope's visit. I taught church history and know a lot about a lot of popes. I have even met a couple of them in my lifetime and certainly have met more cardinals than I cared to know.

At any rate, I have this to say about the recent papal visit to the States: He said and did some things I liked a lot. He said and did some things I did not care for so much.

If he knew beans about me, he might say the same about me.

Full disclosure: I was a Very Reverend, back in the day. 

1 comment:

Inquietudes said...

I was touched and inspired by the Pope's visit. As a lapsed, "recovering" Catholic, I want to like this Pope. He's an inspiration to many, and in a way, I think the Catholic church needs someone like him. I watched as he addressed Congress, cheered as he spoke at the White House, and felt a longing to return to the Church. Then I read about his private meetings and such, and my heart shrank and cried. Still, I prefer Francis to his predecessor. When moving at a glacial pace towards embracing dignity and equality, any forward movement is preferable to none.