Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Haircut, writing, moving on

I got a haircut this morning. The barbershop that Tom and I use has one experienced barber -- also named Mike -- and a younger guy who graduated from cosmetology school within the last couple of years. He is clearly gay and Mike, who is clearly not, is training him. Mike usually cuts my hair, but the young guy has done it a couple of times. When he first started, it took him a long time but today it went pretty quickly. 

He recently moved and we chatted about the ends and outs of moving while he worked on my cowlicks. He did a good job. When I went to pay him, he was going to charge me the full price, but Mike called out that I am eligible for the senior discount. I was pleased to see the young guy look (or at least pretend to look) surprised. It was better for him in the long run, because he wound up with a better tip.

From there I headed to Starbucks for coffee and to do some writing. I plodded along with Wacky in WhoVille for a while, then reviewed what I had written on the second John of the Cross mystery. The mystery has potential, but it is a garbled mess at the moment. I think I will try to complete it, but it is third on the list. Next Sunday is November 1 and I have to start work on the NaNoWriMo novel. That will be pretty much all that I manage next month. Part of my library project will be writing for an hour and a half three days a week at the library and being available to help keep the other participants motivated. When NaNoWriMo is over, I will have one final meeting for those who want to talk about where to go from there if they want to publish.

As soon as that is over, we will have to start final preparations for moving and begin transitioning to Madison mid-December when the apartment opens up. Depending on what is happening on the sale of the house at that time, there may be more to do. Even in the best-case scenario, there will be plenty.

And then in the middle of all that, we go to Chicago for a couple of days to celebrate Christmas ...

Stressed? Who, moi?

No comments: