Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"Easy reading is damn hard writing." ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have been going to Starbucks lately to work on my NaNoWriMo preparation. I find that I can write at Starbucks, but it is even better as a place to free-associate and get snippets of ideas, flesh out characters (have you ever looked at the people in Starbucks???) and scribble notes. I have actually reached the point where I think I should stop preparing and for the next two-and-a-half weeks let it sit and germinate for a bit in what passes for my brain.

Meanwhile other writing projects sit and wait. I haven't done anything substantial with Wacky in WhoVille for several weeks because (Spoiler alert: here comes the excuse!) I have been preoccupied with getting stuff together for the NaNoWriMo project at the library. This did require quite a bit of time, because I over-think and over-prepare. But the introductory and prep sessions for that are now done. So maybe I will use the time I have been giving to Except for his wings (working title for NaNoWriMo) to make a bit of progress on Wacky. Once November hits, writing will be all about Except.

On another front, one of our guests over the past weekend was a woman who is an editor by profession. When they were here last year, Michelangelo's car broke down and he had to stay an extra day for it to be repaired. The ladies took a bus from Madison back to Chicago, and Chris asked if she could borrow a mystery to read along the way. I offered her a copy of my John of the Cross mystery, The Dark Night Murders. As they were leaving the day before yesterday, she told me how much she had enjoyed it, said she thought it was well-written and asked if I had another in the series that she could take. I explained that although I started a second one and made quite a bit of progress on it, I could never get it to gel. I have put it aside, perhaps forever. When I told her a bit about it, however, she and Cindy both said it sounded interesting. So they got me thinking that maybe I should pick it up at some point and see what happens.

I did mention helpfully that I have written other things, but she was not interested in those. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do more journaling in cafes rather than at home. I like people watching. And being alone but not alone. In a café I'm less likely to feel burdened by the things I "should" be doing.
I hope you become inspired to see what happens with your sequel if you give it another go.
You sound very busy.
Kato