Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Writing through the pain, er, I mean, through the rain

I did manage to get some writing done today. I took a short snooze after lunch and then a bit of caffeine jump-started my brain. 

I finished writing a scene in Wacky and got the next one written as well. Then I pulled out the preparatory materials for NaNoWriMo and things really started popping in my head. 

When I looked again at a character who was a pretty two-dimensional (at best!) kind of villain, I realized that he had actually been the narrator's best friend in high school and that -- you'll have to read the book for details -- circumstances turned his friendship to resentment. This is all connected to the narrator's wife leaving him before the novel begins and will tie up nicely in the conclusion I have in mind. Not so neatly as to broadcast the solution in the earlier pages, I hope.

My mother's recently-adopted kitten, Sweet Thing, and our Cassidy have morphed into a feline character who, at least at the moment, is cast for only a minor role. It may just be the caffeine talking, but I'm kind of excited about where this thing could go once I really start writing next Sunday.

Of course, I know from past experience with NaNoWriMo that the story I have in mind the morning of November 1 may not be the book I wind up with at 11:59 p.m. on November 30. 

And the book I wind up with on November 30 may not be the book that eventually gets into print.

Note to self: Stock up on coffee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's encouraging hearing how your day finished so differently to how it started. I hope Tom is recovering well from his operation.
Kato